Student Log-Ins...To Memorize, or Not To Memorize?

In 3rd grade, students begin to show more independence which is extremely helpful when integrating technology in the classroom.  However, there is one roadblock (out of many) that I try to tackle at the start of the year: students and their login information.

One of my Ah-Ha moments was when there was a discussion at my site about students needing to "know" their log-in information without any help.  This made me think: "Why should I expect my students to memorize their login information?" (yes it is helpful) but I, as an adult, have PWs and account info written down, saved in Keep, etc...
This is me picking my battles, not only for myself as a teacher, but for my students.

Let me start with explaining that in our district, students are assigned emails starting in TK...but depending on the number of names a student has (2 last names) or if there are others with similar last names, emails can be daunting due to their length.  These emails are used to log into their Google account, hence their chrome books.
email example: Adriane_ValleyBarnett@myabcusd.org
AND... you would think that using birthdays as passwords would be convenient BUT they are never composed the same way for each account a student might have: 
  • ConnectEd: ES20010223
  • baggies, magnet clips, student # labels
  • Accelerated Reader: 2/23/2001 (notice the month)

Because of the many login cards I received I decided to create login packets that students kept in baggies with their earbuds at their desks.  And I'll be honest, if I were still teaching 2nd grade I would be doing this same thing...actually for grades TK-3rd.  I feel that by 4th grade most of the students know their logins, but getting to this point is half the battle.

So, instead of focusing on the memorization part, I teach how to stay organized and how to keep information in a localized location.

I do want to share that about a year ago I began following Christine Pinto, a Kinder Teacher.  I think that her idea of how she created login cards for her students is brilliant. 
Check Out her blog: Learning With Christine Pinto - She even shares her login card template!!

Would love to hear your thoughts about login cards - Please share in the comments and add your role in education along with what grade(s) you teach 😊

No comments