From Teacher to TOSA: A Transition Story

I have worked in public education since 2008 when I was offered an internship at a local public school, working in conjunction with my community college. I was in the college's Teacher TRAC program and thought that the internship would provide me with some good work experience, giving me a first-hand look at what I would be facing three years down the line when I graduated with a degree and teaching credentials.

This first experience eventually lead to me getting a job as a paraeducator in the district which ultimately led to a full-time teaching position upon graduating.

To say I was tenacious when it came to my professional endeavors would be an understatement. (In conversations with my mother regarding my career, she would comment that I had - and still have to this day - a "pitbull" demeanor...never giving up, persistent, stubborn most times.) I have always wanted more out of my career. And maybe that had to do with the fact that I had to put myself through college - taking out more student loans than I care to admit. But also too, I think I felt I had something to prove as a first generation college student.

I've been a full-time teacher for the last 7 years - all of them being spent in a special education classroom. And while I absolutely love what I do and who I get to work with, it is no joke working in that type of setting. Behavior and classroom management is just part of the equation; having to navigate the bureaucracy of special education, the piles of paperwork, IEPs and behavior plans that never end, and the fact that no one cared enough for my students to make the hard decisions and push back when needed (except me!)...this is what lead me to start looking for something more.


The one commonality among my experience in all of the schools and districts that I have worked is my love for technology and bringing it into the classroom - and teaching teachers how to make it work for them! For the last seven years, at every site I've worked at, I have served in some way, shape or form as a technology facilitator/chair - leading up to my most recent position as one of the Technology Integration Teacher Leads and School Site Technology Coordinator. Having provided both staff and students with professional development and in-class demo lessons, I knew that this was something I wanted to explore further.

Cut to June, end of the school year, when I stumbled across a job posting for a Technology TOSA in the district I student taught in. The same district that offered me a job three years prior - shortly after I had accepted the position in my most recent district. Coincidence? Maybe. But I am a full believer in fate and the saying "When one door closes, somewhere else a window is opened." So, on a whim, I applied for the job. I was called back that same day to come in for an interview.


The rest is history, as they say. I was offered the position as Technology TOSA. I would be stationed, coincidentally, at the same school site I student taught at 8 years ago.

Although I made a difficult decision to leave my classroom and the kiddos I have worked with over the last three years, it was the best decision for me at this time. With each day that passes and gets me nearer to the beginning of a new school year, I become more excited about the year ahead. I am excited that I get to work with teachers and create lessons that will engage their students with technology. Not having a classroom of my own also allows me a little bit more liberty with my after-school scheduling - more time to work with Angela to build up Tech Tribe EDU.

I have promised Angela that I won't become "one of those TOSAs" - you know the kind. She's promised to keep me in check and grounded, which I don't think will be too hard. I'm not far removed from the classroom and my priority has been and will always be the students I teach and the teachers that I have the profound opportunity to work with.

No comments