#Sketch50 and Growth Mindset by Angela

You've probably seen the wide-spread phenomenon of #Sketch50 across Twitter - If you haven't, check out the website here.


Here's My take on this movement and how it can be used in the classroom.


"What and Why?" you may ask.  I did too.  However, when I first saw tweets posted over the summer, it drew me in.  But only as a bystander. I've never considered myself an artist.  "I can't do that."  In fact, seeing the posts were very intimidating to me.  Especially when I saw Kristin's beautiful and fun creations...the thought of sharing a sketch of my own was even more horrifying.

I doodle.  During staff meetings and trainings I doodle on my paper just like I did in college while I was note-taking.  I take my pencil or pen and begin making designs, such as squiggles or waves.  Let me be clear though, my doodling only goes so far: stick man, stick house, tree, flower, etc.  But there were no connections between my doodles and my actual notes.

When I saw that there was going to be a new edition of #Sketch50 I was intrigued.  So, I did some research...I viewed the Kick-Off Video.  The thoughts shared by the Sketch_50 Team were very encouraging.  I had 2 huge take-aways.  First, I was happy to hear that Misty Kluesner IS an analog girl.  She uses paper as her format of putting down her sketches...hhmmm, "I can do that." Second, the idea is only to spend 5 minutes on each challenge - "I can do that."

So here it was, Day 1 of Week 1: Sketch_50 2.0: "Back to Basics."  I decided to take the plunge.  Thank goodness for the "Back to Basics" 4-day template (with an idea box attached) to help guide me, at least a little bit.  


  1. First, I needed to decide what I wanted to use.  I knew I definitely wanted to do my sketches on paper instead of on an actual device, but...??? So, I took Lisa Bieler's lead and decided to use the RocketBook I received at the GAFE Summit I attended in February.
  2. What do I start with?  I spun the #WheelDecide and landed on Arrows.  
  3. Practice.  Yes, I said practice.  I've drawn arrows before, but I wanted to be able to at least try to hang with the Sketch_50 patrons.  I looked up arrow images and began practicing on a scratch piece of paper. (Cheating one might say...building confidence is what I would reply).
  4. Ready or not - I set my timer for 5 minutes and I took my pencil and began sketching arrows in my RocketBook.  Let's be real, I took more than 5 minutes to complete this challenge, but nothing crazy like 30 minutes.  I wanted to be true to the concept and mindset of this excercise.
  5. Colored pencils.  I love to color.  The pencil sketch looked so dull.  All I did was trace my sketches.
  6. Scanned my doodle with the phone (RocketBook app) and shared it to Twitter.
I'm proud to say that even though I used paper/pencil I was able to integrate tech into this activity.  And in a pretty cool way  - My sketch looks like I used a device!

Process OVER Pretty...for sure
Very First #Sketch50 Contribution via RocketBook
It may not be reusable, but what it can do is amazing.


My Power of Yet
I will be a sketcher.  I Can Do This.

Bringing it to the Classroom
The thoughts of not being able to draw derives from when I was a student. There were kids who were much better than I, naturals.  But now I realize that I don't have to be an artist to be able to create sketch notes.

Before I introduced something like this to my third graders I needed to be able to try it myself.  This gives me a better idea of not only how to give pointers, but how to make it meaningful.

I love that the Sketch_50 Team made it teacher friendly and connected it to the idea of Visual Vocabulary.  Since our school has adopted AVID for elementary I think that using the Sketch_50 resources will help students better understand how to create One-Pagers.  AND give them the confidence to do so.

I will use the templates from Sketch_50 to begin the art of Sketch Notes in the classroom - Yes, I will give them time to practice before adding to their weekly organizer.  

What I can't wait to try-----> RocketBook Pages for my students!!

For those who don't know, you can print RocketBook Pages.  Of course you would need to figure out the logistics (like where will they be sent), but think how cool it would be to scan your students' sketches and digitize them. #Sketch50Kids

No comments